DESIGN PRINCIPLES FINAL PROJECT.

6/27/2019-7/2019 
week 13-week15
Ating Otobong Melvin Abang.
0333700
Design principles
final- project-BILLBOARD INSPIRATION.




INSTRUCTION



For the Final Project, Ms. Sherry informed us that we were going to be examining posters and making our, so we should go around and look for some and experiment and make ours.

She showed us the link to a seniors blog which had the Examples.

Seniors Blog Link:http://xiaoshi0919.blogspot.com/2018/06/design-principles-final-project.html

Here is my process.

First of all, I went to Bukit Bing tang and took some pictures of billboards with the help of my friend. and here are the pictures i took.


Fig 1.1 models on a billboard. 
i was really intrigued about the models and the clothes so ideas started coming up about what I wanted to do.  
Fig 1.1 Another one with different branding.
This is a half body of the Models. 

Fig 1.2 More Fashion  Posters.
I saw more fashion billboards and took the opportunity to take the picture. 
Fig 1.3  More models with different poses.
Here having three models with different poses. And then I thought to myself that I saw that not many traditional wears were introduced on the Billboards although Malaysia is known for its culture that is hardly billboard worthy, So I decided to introduce some my own unique designs from my country into models. 

MALAY FASHION SKETCHES-Female Centered. 

Before I made the Sketches, I found some pictures of some Malay models and found out that in actual truth they do share some similarity with Nigerian female attire(Depends on the tribe.


And for this to work I needed to know a little bit About Malay Fashion. And to make it more difficult there are 3 main cultures Malay, Chinese and Indian so.... but hey I won't judge I come from a nation with over 400 languages spoken and very very diverse cultures.


STUDY
I hand drew the study of each 
Fig 2.1 Indian Attire 
personally, I don't see girls rocking these but mainly older women or maybe I haven't seen enough Indian girls yet. And I further studied the key features of their attire.

Fig 2.2 Drawn Key Features.
The key features would be the long extension of the dress over the hand sorry I'm not good with fashion terms and also the fishtail.
Fig 2.3 Chinese Attire
                             
Fig 2.4  Chinese Key Features.


Also the same issue i never see the traditional attire except for Chinese new year perhaps. But it's still nice

Fig 2.5  Malay Attire.
Fig 2.6 Malay features.
Now, this i do see a lot but only get to appreciate during Raya which is coming up in the future but i saw some of these last year during my foundation. 

NIGERIAN ATTIRE.

My goodness, i don't know where to start because it's so vast, well I would love to represent the whole country but I will show a few other cultures too, so I'm from the southern part of Nigeria Akwa-Ibom state. and each attire is unique to each state or ethnicity. in order for me to start on the attire i have to first go a little bit into the ethnicity and the tribes come out based of the ethnic group

There are 3 main Ethnic groups namely 

HAUSA-North, IGBO-South, AND YORUBA-West. 


  • HAUSA ATTIRE
The Hausa People being from the North of Nigeria and a sub-tribe being the Fulani people. And the North being Muslim the females cover their head with the hijab 


Fig 2.7 Hausa Men Dress exquisitely.
Fig 2. 8 Hausa female attire wedding.
the Hausa people being mostly Muslim the female cover their head and they have some unique temporary hand tattoo's usually done with henna just for the occasion.

Fig 2.9 Fulani woman
You can see as I mentioned before both Hausa and Fulani being from the north share similarities they also have similar traditions but attire wise the material and color differs.
  • IGBO ATTIRE
the Igbo people are from the south of Nigeria and the majority being Christian.

Fig 2.8   Igbo female wedding attire.
the females love wearing coral beads and they also carry a horsetail during weddings. 
Fig 2.9 Horsetail.
this is a horsetail used to swat flies away in the past and still used in rural areas of the country. but it is used in weddings, I don't know why but I know the Igbo's use it.  

Fig 2.10 an Igbo girl in her bridal wear once again very beautiful.
the coral beads are mostly red or orange to signify the richness of the earth or the soil.

Fig 2.10 another version.

  • YORUBA ATTIRE
the Yoruba people are from the western part of Nigeria and they can be Muslim or Christian, I mention religion because it affects the manner in which you dress take the HAUSA, for example, the female wears a hijab even in weddings. 
  

Fig 2.11 Yoruba attire.
The Yoruba people love making use of colors and the couple matches the colors together so they are seen as one, husband and wife, in general, this quite unique even in the south. 

 PROCESS.

Finally, I can start on my process after my explanation of the culture.

Fig 3.1 Start of the face.
I slowly started drawing out the face with a pencil digitally.

Fig 3.2  Hair 
Then i colored in the hair black with ink.

Fig 3.3  finished hair
then i finished up the hair and added golden color highlights to the tips of the hair.

NEXT PHASE

I wanted to add something that is called a head tie or a Gele back in my home country Nigeria, so i looked for some reference pictures before i added that in. and it's mostly used for important occasions like traditional weddings but they do wear them casually depending on the material and style. 

And mostly worn by Igbo people from the south  I'm from the south so i would like to represent them. Not meaning I'm tribalistic.

Fig 4.1 A very beautiful  Gele color brown 
And the Gele is also matched with the color of the attire, but not all the time.
Fig 4.2  Colour yellow 
same goes for this.

Resumption of Process

Fig 5.1 Making my own custom Gele(Headscarf).
I made my very own headscarf and the color that inspired me was my country's flag with the color green white green which I wanted to represent.


Fig 5.2 My country's colors.

the green meaning natural wealth because it's a tropical country blessed with a lot of natural resources and then the white stands for peace.
Fig 5.3 Finished scarf and start of the skin,
Once I finished the scarf I began the skin tone and finished her eyes.
Fig 5.4 Doing the rest of the skin.
I moved on to do the rest of her skin.

Fig 5.5 Necklace.
then I inked up her necklace with my own color preference.
Here is the reference I used for the necklace although it is my own unique style. 

Fig 5.6 Typical necklace.
Most necklaces like these aren't really tribal or unique to a specific tribe but used for more open occasions such as attending regular church services and some parties if you want to feel regal that is. : ) 

Here is an example of coral beads unique to the Igbo ethnic group also from the south like me but I'm not Igbo but my grandmom is and my grandad is from a different ethnic group so I know i little bit of both.


Fig 5.7 Coral beads
And the unique fact is that these are hand made and worn only on special occasions such as Traditional weddings and cultural events.
Fig 5.8 Coral beads on a bride and her bride's maids, very beautiful.

Fig 5.6 Coloring her outfit.
I went for orange and made my own patterns black the choice of clothing was from my head and i chose to be original in this final Project But still having bits and pieces of other references.

FINAL PIECE


Fig 6.1 Final piece.
I choose green as the Background also representing my country  Nigeria, and bringing other Cultures to Malaysia and this can be used as a billboard for advertising purposes haha.


Fig 6.2  Final piece
I added visit Nigeria to make it have more meaning instead of being just the woman. and this billboard keeps you wondering what Nigeria has to offer, leaves the viewers with a question of why do i need to visit. well, that's the point to leave them thinking. 

a design or a composition hasn't achieved its purpose if it is easily forgotten.- Melvin. Ating :)
and that's what I want. 

DESIGN ELEMENTS USED.

LINE

CONTRAST 

HARMONY 

No perspective as it is a flat image and kind of an up-close image.

REFLECTION AND EXPERIENCE.

As this is the Final Project I would like to thank Ms.Sherry and Ms.Anis for a wonderful semester and all the feedback concerning all my works you see here on design principles Have Really helped me especially concerning originality which I maximized in the final project which I'm proud of.

The studying of different cultures was quite exciting and this is coming for a person of vast cultural background.  and also in turn learning more about my country's vast culture in the process of this final project has left me with gratefulness for being part of such a blessed country.












                           

































                    






















Comments

Popular Posts