DESIGN PRINCIPLES PROJECT 1

Ating Melvin Otobong Abang 
0333700
Design Principles 
Project 1.

Duration: Week8-Week10


Week 8(23/05/2019)<Preview on Self Portraits>


Today Ms.Sherry briefed us on Portraits and we should express what we want the portrait to say about us in the portrait and it must be A4 were free to use any medium of our Choice. 

Some Examples that were given by Ms. Sherry 


First Self Portrait.
Comment: We see here that the facial expression doesn't really matter but should contribute to what we want to express overall  

Second Self Portrait That was Shown 
Comment: This Piece was made with Fingerprints I've forgotten the Artist which is really unique it's probably what the artist is comfortable using. 

The Third Self-portrait  
Comment: This Piece is quite unique also because it doesn't just have one element of Design but rather we see the use of lines, pattern and a little bit of composition in the use of vibrant Colours.

Final Example of Self Portrait 
Comment: Very Interesting Self-portrait looks quite digitalized, this is an example of Photo manipulation and a good one at that we learned this in Digital Photography.


INSTRUCTIONS




SELF-PORTRAIT PROCESS

Critique Date -6/13/2019

  • References 

Fig 1.0 (This a portrait of me in color)
Personal-Comment: I chose this pose or this view because I wanted to get my face at an angle I didn't want it appearing flat. 

Fig 1.1(Pewdiepie  Wavy Pattern) 
Info: Pewdiepie is a famous YouTuber who is known for his hilarious content and was the Most subscribed youtube with over 95 million subscribers and counting until T series took over the number one spot.

Comment: I chose this Pattern because.....

  1.  It has lines(Wavy lines and I want to  incorporate other exercises which I have learned into this self-portrait) 
  2. I particularly watch or follow his content quite religiously on his youtube channel. 
  3. It has a strong contrast between 2 colors black and white.
  4. And finally, it has a hypnotic feel to it which I like.

                                    Start of Process



Fig 2.1(Sketching out my face and Introducing the Wavy Background)
Personal Comment: I finished sketching both the wavy background and the face in pencil which took me 3hrs to complete. 

Fig 2.2(I Sketch completed and moving on to Inking and Colouring)
Personal Comment: When I was done with the sketching out in pencil I started my process of inking bit by bit but not everything yet, and I also started coloring. 

Fig 2.3(Still  Colouring)

Fig 2.4(Also still coloring)

Fig 2.5(This is where we start seeing the background coming to life)
Personal Comment: This was a partially Finished Background I wasn't done yet.

Lecturer Comment: This was the point where I displayed my work for critique on Wednesday Ms. Sherry was quite happy with the work but Asked "What are you going to do with the face" which I replied that I was still unsure.

Class Comment: The Class feedback or critique was kind of a meh its good but they commented saying that I look like a character in Naruto. And they still asked what I was planning to do with the face that the background was good.

Fig 2.6(Finished Background)
Personal Comment: I finally finished the background and I decided to add line patterns of different kinds within the background, the reason for this is that the Background once completed looked too plain if you look closely you'll see it. 

Fig 2.7(Continuation of inking in the Small line pattern )
Comment: I was still  Inking in the intricate line pattern, the aim of this was to give the work a printed effect and this works because when the lines are close together when viewed they look printed which is good.

Fig 2.8(Closeup of  the Line Pattern)
Personal Comment: The Pattern was turning out really well everything, was going according to plan, the only drawback was that it was time-consuming to get up to this point took me up to 5-7hrs of work but it was worth it in my eyes. 

Fig 2.9(Continuation Of the Intricate line pattern)
Class Advice And Lecturer Advice: Ms. Sherry Asked the class to help me since I was in a bind, I didn't know what to do with the face whether to color fill it in with color our not and their Advice and Ms. Sherry was to erase the Lines inside and Leave it black and white.

Fig 3.0(Final Self-Portrait)
Meaning Behind This Self Portrait: The eyes signify possession, like something that has been possessed and in this case or situation that person is me, and the pewdiepie wavy background shows that I'm so obsessive over his content that I seem possessed haha(Not true in Real Life)



Reflection: Overall I really enjoyed this Self-portrait Project and I got to use other design elements which I've learned over the semester so far, although it was a hard and time-consuming process It was worth the effort.   


Comments

Popular Posts